Monday, July 7, 2008

Daniel Ridgway Knight The Honeymoon Breakfast painting

Daniel Ridgway Knight The Honeymoon Breakfast painting
William Merritt Chase Chase Summertime painting
Yes. And I sneezed three times while he was asking me. Wasn't that horrid? But I said `yes' almost before he finished -- I was so afraid he might change his mind and stop. I'm besottedly happy. I couldn't really believe before that Jonas would ever care for frivolous me."
"Phil, you're not really frivolous," said Anne gravely. "'Way down underneath that frivolous exterior of yours you've got a dear, loyal, womanly little soul. Why do you hide it so?"
"I can't help it, Queen Anne. You are right -- I'm not frivolous at heart. But there's a sort of frivolous skin over my soul and I can't take it off. As Mrs. Poyser says, I'd have to be hatched over again and hatched different before I could change it. But Jonas knows the real me and loves me, frivolity and all. And I love him. I never was so surprised in my life as I was when I found out I loved him. I'd never thought it possible to fall in love with an ugly man. Fancy me coming down to one solitary beau. And one named Jonas! But I mean to call him Jo. That's such a nice, crisp little name. I couldn't nickname Alonzo."

No comments: